Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger #1) by V.C. Andrews

Book Description

August 2, 2005 Dollanganger Series (Book 1)


The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before.
Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them.
She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days....



My Review

This falls under the category of Awesomely Bad!
Flowers in the Attic was the first adult (well it seemed adult to me) book that I read. I remember it vividly. I was in 7th grade ( I know right!?!) all of my friends and I would just devour these books. At that age V.C. Andrews was spinning yarns that were both scandalous and delicious! We thought we were so naughty and bad ass for reading these tales.
Little did I know, it was just the beginning of my never ending love for young adult fiction....duhn,duhn,duuuuuhhh.
I was so enthralled with reading a story (which turned into a 5 book series) about a family of teenagers/young children locked away in an attic and the horrible physical and psychological horrors they had to endure. I loved the protagonist's means of escapism; that she could retreat into the world of ballet. It was the only thing from her old life that kept her somewhat grounded and sane. Being that I too was in Ballet during that time made the book more fantastical.
Oh, I will not spoil this sweet gem by giving any of the story away. You will have to go and read it yourself. The whole Dollanganger series is great! It's not Bronte, but it has it's own certain pedestrian charm.

Grade B+

No comments:

Post a Comment