Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A.M. Hudson (Dark Secrets Series)



Review's for books 1-3

This has probably been one of the most frustrating series I have read, and the author still has more books lined up in this series! However, my being frustrated is indeed a compliment to the author and not a critique.

In the first book, ‘Tears Of The Broken’ we are introduced to the main characters. We get a little back story, a set-up for a love triangle and some heartache. I wasn’t super impressed with the story line in the first book. I felt the characters needed further development as there were some definite weak ones. Mike and Emily for example. It kinda seemed like a typical YA, I have a vampire boyfriend, novel. I knew it was a series and I hoped it would produce more fruit in the novels to come.

I was not disappointed in the second book, ‘The Knight of the Rose.’  In this book our beloved author tortures us with a good ole fashion Greek tragedy. I literally wept when David was saying goodbye to Ara and wrote her a song. Yes, it sounds super cheesy but the author pulled if off in such beautify and heart breaking grace that is wasn’t cheesy at all. Yep cried like a baby!
I was so frustrated with Ara, her self-deprecating ways and her selfish decisions drove me batty. Frustration with David, his choices and being so duty bound. Not to mention super irritated by Mike and him being so hung up on Ara that he was willing to be Ara’s second choice just as long as he could be with her. Ugh! Grow a pair!
When I finished this book I actually wrote on fb that I wanted to throw this book across the room and set it on fire. I was so upset, I did not want it to go down that way.
Don’t misunderstand me. This is not a contradiction to what I wrote previously. This author seriously delivered a tragic story and her writing was so beautiful and eloquent.
The only thing that gave me hope was I knew there was a third book coming out soon.

Thank you Jesus! Book 3 in the series, ‘The Heart’s Ashes’ really starts coming full circle and the author redeems herself with the story line.
Wow, this book had it all and the amazing thing is,...there are more books to come.
In this book we get a huge surprise with our protagonist. Yeah, didn’t see that coming! Ms. Hudson really keeps the reader on their toes in this novel. I didn’t know which characters to trust, who to love, who to hate until about 3/4 of the way in.  A LOT is explained in this book and A LOT of character development happens. She wraps up the story nicely with no big cliff hangers. However, the reader knows there are some things that still need to be resolved and our author is not finished with us yet :)

I would really encourage people to read this series. One may feel frustrated with the first two books, but hang in there. The pay off with the third book is really where it’s at.

I am excited to see how this series ends and look forward to more from this author. A.M. Hudson really does have a gift.

Please read below for book descriptions.



Tears of the Broken (Dark Secrets)

November 27, 2011
"Powerfully integrated vampire series."

"Romance at its most heartbreaking."

Blood and death aside, love is all that should matter...

Tragedy brought her to a new place.
Fate put her in the arms of a vampire.
The truth could destroy her.

Hailed as the most inspiring read since Twilight.
Take a journey of tears and heartache as
Ara finds that love is a reason to live.
Will the vampire be her knight, or will the truth
about him finish what fate started?

*There will be 5-6 books in this series.

* The book is delivered in Australian English


The Knight of the Rose (Dark Secrets)

March 29, 2012

Book II in the Dark Secrets series.

"Deeply integrated series. You need to read Tears of the Broken before reading this one."

Love was only the beginning of her nightmares.

When Ara discovered the existence of vampires, she was given the choice between a life as one of them, or a life without her true love.

But fate has a funny way of making choices for you.

After breaking the heart of the boy she loves with a truth he cannot bear, Ara will find herself in the arms of a predator who will steal her innocence and force the hand of fate.

Will David Knight become her rescuer once again, or will he be too late?

The Heart's Ashes (Dark Secrets)

June 21, 2012 Third book in the internationally successful Dark Secrets series.

"I was in tears 90% of the time. Hudson knows how to keep you on the edge of you seat." ~Khelsey Jackson

"Completely unexpected twists that had the tears rolling down my face or grinning with pure joy." ~Tracey Spiteri (YA Book Addict)

Death never leaves us. Once it's touched our souls, it hungers for our return--waiting for us to fall. And if it finds Ara again, she will have no way to escape.

Moving on from David was hard, forgetting the abduction and torture was almost impossible, but nothing as devastating as the thought that now, because of her, David might face the horrific punishments of the Set.

No one knows where David went after he lost Ara, but she can only hope he's the one leaving subtle clues for her to discover, and it makes her desperate to find him--desperate enough that she would risk her life, hanging out with an informant who means to kill her. What truths she is told about David's dark past, though, will threaten to change her heart and destroy the way Ara perceives everything. She must ask herself if it's right to love one monster, then hate the one who tried to destroy her.

In all her searching, the promise of immortality will finally be renewed, but sold at a price Ara's not sure she's willing to pay.

Is love enough to make her submit to this new role, or will it fail her once again and leave her reaching back for the grasp of death?

 


4 comments:

  1. Tears of the Broken is currently free for Kindle on Amazon....

    I've avoided vampire novels in the past. I like fantasy- but for some reason vampire novels don't appeal. I'm interested in your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first novel is a little more vampire laden then the proceeding two. The author probably does this to give some extra context/history for the reader as they progress in the series.
      It is seriously more Greek Tragedy then a "Twilight"-esque vampire novel. But, like I said you have to get through the first book. I was kinda on the fence and didn't want to continue after reading Tears of the Broken. However, I can't resist a series and sometimes my sticking with it has paid off....Sometimes, ;)
      Maybe it'll be your bag? Maybe not?

      Delete
  2. I'm on the last book, and, I have to say, I hate Ara. Hate her. I simply cannot find a single redeeming quality that makes her likable in any way, shape or form.

    Also, I do wish the author would find another descriptive word aside from 'smirk' and its various forms in her future novels. I'm fairly sure she used it 4,762 times in three books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ara.... Seriously! What the hell?? She is SO whiney! Jesus! The copy of the kindle edition I got has a foreword about how readers hate her because she's not such a strong heroine, but that the author did it on purpose because the she knows more girls who are weak and get stronger than girls who actually have balls. I'm sick of her. She's awful, if you love someone so much that when you're apart all you can do is grieve their absence then THAT is who you're supposed to be with. I hate the way Mike is CONSTANTLY calling her baby. It's over the top. Bad.

    ReplyDelete