Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex #1) by Caitlin Kittredge

Book Description

February 22, 2011 The Iron Codex (Book 1)
In the city of Lovecraft, the Proctors rule and a great Engine turns below the streets, grinding any resistance to their order to dust. The necrovirus is blamed for Lovecraft's epidemic of madness, for the strange and eldritch creatures that roam the streets after dark, and for everything that the city leaders deem Heretical—born of the belief in magic and witchcraft. And for Aoife Grayson, her time is growing shorter by the day.
     Aoife Grayson's family is unique, in the worst way—every one of them, including her mother and her elder brother Conrad, has gone mad on their 16th birthday. And now, a ward of the state, and one of the only female students at the School of Engines, she is trying to pretend that her fate can be different.
 
My Review

This book was a nice change of pace from the typical YA stuff that’s out there. Sure there was the typical ‘I’m super special and beautiful but everyone thinks I’m a freak,’ protagonist and the usual quasi-love triangle between her (male) best friend and the new male ‘hero’ in her life...okay there’s that, BUT, there is so much more! I loved that Ms. Kittredge combined the worlds of Steampunk, Faery, and Elfin. A bold, creative move that totally worked for me.
I agree with a lot of the reviewers that the book moved at a much slower pace then most YA novels but that was just fine with me as it held my attention throughout. I will admit it took me about 50 pages to get going but once I got into Kittredge’s world the rest of the book was smooth sailing. There were a few spots were I thought the author lingered a little to long as well a couple of spots where she could have spent a little more time. I honestly think this book could have been cut by about 100 pages and still be stellar...but this was her first novel for young readers, so of course I will cut her and her editor some slack. I look forward to the next book in this series as it has a lot of promise.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment