Monday, July 23, 2012

Why I won't read '50 Shades Of Grey' by E. L. James

        This review is intended for mature audiences.

I know, I know,... It's almost considered "sacrilege" for me not to read this book/series according to some circles. Especially since the target audience is geared towards me.?. Really?...I guess?
However I do have my reasons and here they are.

But first, a wee description of said novel:

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

This book is intended for mature audiences  


....Oh my!

Now, I know the book is a New York Times best seller. Honestly, that means piddly-diddly to me.  My reasons for reading a book have little to do with what's popular and more to do with peer reviews. Oh, yeah, I am all about my reviews. Hence this little blog.

So, here they are folks. Some awesome reviews from my fellow readers who have walked through the fire and sacrificed hours of their lives they will never get back. All in order to save little ole you and me from a totally pointless, tasteless, time suck.

God Bless you ladies! Know that your sacrifice was not in vain.

One reviewer states, " About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the characters are out of a 16 year old's fantasy. The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this at the ripe old age of 26! And on top of that, he's never working. Every second is spent having sex or texting and emailing the female character. His billions seem to have just come about by magic. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey
Then come the sex scenes. The first one is tolerable but as she goes on, they become so unbelievable that it becomes more laughable than erotic. She orgasms at the drop of a hat. He says her name and she orgasms. He simply touches her and she orgasms. It seems that she's climaxing on every page.

Then there's the writing. If you take out the parts where the female character is blushing or chewing her lips, the book will be down to about 50 pages. Almost on every single page, there is a whole section devoted to her blushing, chewing her lips or wondering "Jeez" about something or another. Then there's the use of "shades of". He's "fifty shades of @#$%% up," "she turned 7 shades of crimson," "he's ten shades of x,y, and z." Seriously?

The writing is just not up to par, the characters are unbelievable, and the sex verges on the comical. I don't know what happens in the remaining books and I do not intend to read them to find out. But given the maturity level of the first book, I imagine that they get married, have 2 perfect children, cure world hunger, and live happily ever after while riding into the sunset, as the female character climaxes on her horse causing her to chew her bottom lip and blush fifty shades of crimson. Jeez!  

 
Another reviewer, ' I downloaded the book to my Kindle because it was on the best seller list and had 4 stars overall rating on Amazon. I wish I'd taken the time to read some of the reviews. As it turns out I agree with the negative.
I found myself thinking "Twilight, plus some spanking, minus the sparkly vampires." Here, I'll save you all some time (SPOILER ALERT):

Once upon a time...
I'm Ana. I'm clumsy and naive. I like books. I dig this guy. He couldn't possibly like me. He's rich. I wonder if he's gay? His eyes are gray. Super gray. Intensely gray. Intense AND gray. Serious and gray. Super gray. Dark and gray. [insert 100+ other ways to say "gray eyes" here]
I blush. I gasp. He touches me "down there." I gasp again. He gasps. We both gasp. I blush some more. I gasp some more. I refer to my genitals as "down there" a few more times. I blush some more. Sorry, I mean I "flush" some more. I bite my lip. He gasps a lot more. More gasping. More blushing/flushing. More lip biting. Still more gasping.
The end.

The bad:
It was an interesting concept - for a "romance" novel. However the story is weak, the pace is slow and awkward, the characters come through as more schizophrenic than complicated, the "romance" is a jeuvenile and dysfunctional crush, and the "erotic" scenes alternate between "Penthouse Forum" and something that sounds like it was written by a painfully shy and sheltered 13 year old. I have now read through some of the rave reviews and I have to assume that these were posted by people easily shocked and/or titillated. I can't imagine what fans are comparing this to when they describe this as "good."

The good:
Nice cover art.     
 
So there you have it folks. There are plenty more reviews just like these all over the interwebz. I think these reviewers said it best and discribed the,... err, ehem,... book, in enough detail that I get the picture.
Thanks ladies, for your time served and I am sure my audience thanks you as well.  
Cheers
 

2 comments:

  1. Love it! After reading this I have absolutely no interest in this series, but I probably wouldn't have read it anyway. Reading about weird, poorly narrated sex is pointless...especially when you can just roll on over and have good sex with your spouse ;). Ermagherd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing about this book here and there, but never bothered to really look into it. Thank you for confirming my non-researched opinion of it! I will never read it either. :)

    ReplyDelete