Sunday, October 5, 2014

Blood and Bone by, Tara Brown




Listen, listen to the wind and stone. 
Listen, listen to the sounds of old. 
Listen, listen as my hopes are drowned. 
Listen, listen to the sounds that bullets make of blood and bones. 
Where will you run today? 
How will you ever get away?” 

This is NOT a romance. This is a ride. 

Blood and Bone 

The hollow sound of a casing hitting the floor. 
The clicking of heels walking in a misty alley. 
The ability to tie a cherry stem with her tongue. 
A haunting song no one else knows. 
That's all that's left of Jane's memories. 

What would you do if the life you lived was a lie, and everyone knew but you? 
Where do you run when there is no one on your side? 
Jane discovers that deep inside her mind there is a map. 
What she doesn't know is that there is also a man who will do anything to get it. 

But what he doesn't know is that Jane hasn't always been honest about the things she remembers. 
There are paces inside of Jane that even she doesn't like to go. 

What would you do if the secret you kept was the only thing keeping you alive? 

But keeping it meant someone else had to die. 

My review

Sweet baby Jesus, this book was one crazy psychological ride. Just when I thought I was getting a grasp on what was happening in the story, surprise; something new would be reviled. Then that would totally debunk my theories as to what was really happening, and thus screw with my perception of the main protagonist's reality. GAH!!! This book is spot on with the Urban Dictionary's definition of a "mindf*ck." Sorry kids, there is no other (clean) way to describe it other then that. 
But don't let that intimidate, or steer you away from this dark-psychological thriller.  I too had to take a leap of faith when I sat down to read this novel. And I am so glad I did. Most of you who know me, know that I normally stick to Urban Fantasy, PNR, and a little Sci-Fi. But regardless of the fact that this was out my normal genre of books that I read; I can't deny that Ms. Brown's writing is spectacular. She writes with such fluidity, and grace. I can feel, and empathize alongside her characters as if I am right there with them. Only someone with some serious writing skills and talent could pull off a novel like this. There are so many layers and levels of crazy going on in the story that you'd pretty much have to be a psycho-genius in order to explain it all to your audience, and have it all come together in the end. 
Well bravo Ms. Brown you psycho-genius! You did it. You pulled off the impossible with this piece of work. 
I won't even try and attempt to break down the premise of this book to you. I simply won't do it justice. You will just have to be content with the summary provided. However, I will give you this, if you enjoyed movies like Memento, Donnie Darko, and The Usual Suspects then you will love this book. Give Blood and Bone a read. It's totally worth the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment