Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Forever Girl


The Forever Girl: Sophia's Journey (Forever Girl, #1)


The Forever Girl: Sophia's Journey (Forever Girl #1) by

Sophia's family has skeletons, but they aren't in their graves.

At twenty-two, practicing Wiccan Sophia Parsons is scratching out a living waiting tables in her Rocky Mountain hometown, a pariah after a string of unsolved murders with only one thing in common: her.

Sophia can imagine lots of ways to improve her life, but she'd settle for just getting rid of the buzzing noise in her head. When the spell she casts goes wrong, the static turns into voices. Her personal demons get company, and the newcomers are dangerous.

One of them is a man named Charles, who Sophia falls for despite her better judgment. He has connections that might help her unveil the mystery surrounding her ancestor's hanging, but she gets more than she bargains for when she finally decides to trust him.

Survival in his world, she learns, means not asking questions and staying out of the immortal council's way. It's a line she crossed long ago. If Sophia wants to survive the council and save the people she loves, she must accept who she is, perform dark magic, and fight to the death for her freedom.


The Forever Girl is a full-length Paranormal Fantasy novel that will appeal to lovers of paranormal romance, urban fantasy, witches, vampires, ghosts, paranormal mystery, and paranormal horror.


Review

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised by this novel! While I do enjoy para-romance and urban fantasy, the occult and wiccan’s don’t really pique my interests. So, I thought I would go out on a bit of a limb in choosing this book and I am very glad I did.

While I sat down to start reading this novel, I was thinking,  “ Oh boy, is this gonna be some emo-goth girl grumbling about her life, meet some hot guy and all the while, get sucked into witchcraft and the occult sort of story?”  However, I set that thought aside,  opened up my ereader and began. As I read the first chapter I soon realized this book was not what I expected and I was in for a treat.

Author, Rebecca Hamilton weaves such an imaginative tale that it makes one sit-up and take notice of the rich complexity and creativity between the character’s and story line. All is not totally how it seems, and as the story unfolds most, if not all is revealed leaving the reader wanting more.

The story is from Sophia’s POV. She isn’t the strange, goth-girl pariah that the small town of Belle Meadow makes her out to be. She is very likable and sweet. Sophia also isn’t a push over and she stands her ground on her convictions. 



There is a buzzing in Sophia’s head that forces her to perform a ritual in the hope that it would silence the sound. Instead she sets off a chain of events that lead her to discover who she really is and was destined to become.

During this journey she falls in love with Charles. At first I wasn’t a big fan. He later grew on me though. My initial impression was that he was a smug, indifferent, I think to highly of myself type. He gives Sophia mixed signals and ,well frankly, it just irritated and annoyed me. However, as the plot thickens and the story progresses, Charles drops his guard and softens into a character any woman would fall for. The reader learns that both characters (Sophia and Charles) have fears and trust issues. Hence, all the tension. But, I won’t spoil the plot by revealing what those are. However, know that what’s revealed makes total sense and the characters become more personable and forgivable.

The Forever Girl spans over time and distance and as the reader we are blessed to get some delicious back story. So much so that it made me say, “ Well, I didn’t see that one coming!” I love it when I am taken by surprise by some sort of twist and that’s just what Ms. Hamilton did.

This story was not formulaic at all and I am in awe of the creative genius that went into this endeavor. Therefore I give this story 4.5 stars.

I look forward to reading more of Rebecca Hamilton’s work!

No comments:

Post a Comment